A person is scared when he/she loses their laptop not just because it has cost them some thousands or lakhs. But also for the data, they have stored it. Few might believe since they have used a password or pin their data won’t be harmed, it’s an easy task to crack into someone’s privacy these days. Earlier it could have been a problem, but not now. Windows 10 has come up with a new feature wherein one can locate his/her laptop. Now the real question is what can a person do?
A tool named “Find my device” was introduced on windows in order to find your lost device. This feature will work only if you have signed in to your Microsoft account. This security feature was initiated with the Windows 10 November update in the year 2015. It is said to have been originally introduced with windows phone 8.1OS.
Turn on “Find my device”
While you set up your device you are given an option where you have a setting to turn on or turn off the “Find my device”.If you have turned it on it is well and good. But if you have turned it off it’s not an issue, you can still turn it on. All you need to do is
- Click on the Start > Settings> Update and Security>Find my device.
- Click on Change and make sure you turn it on.
Note: Ensure your device is connected to the internet and has a good battery.
How to locate your laptop?
To locate your lost laptop you need to follow the following steps:
- Firstly you need to log in to https://account.microsoft.com/devices.
- Then sign in to your account.
- Click or tap on “Find my device”.
- Now you need to choose the device you want to find.
- Once you do that, click on Find, this will show a map that will help in tracking down your device.
Also, you need to make sure that you are an administrator when you set up your Microsoft account.
How can one lock their Windows device?
In order to lock your device, you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- The foremost thing you need to do after you locate your device is to tap on “lock” and then tap on “next”.
- After you have completed the above step, you have the option to ratchet/reset your password.
- Another advantage of locking your device is it can turn on the tracking feature in case it’s turned off.
- It will also prohibit others from accessing your data.
Another question arises: how accurate is this “Find my device” feature? There were some issues faced in tracking the device. But a device with GPS
provides a good accuracy to locate it. Also, Wifi positioning has proved to be accurate. Although its accuracy is about the range of 50 m to 150 m.
One might also ask if it is possible to track or locate your device without Wifi?
Alas, one cannot find his/her laptop if it’s not connected to a network. It is necessary that it is activated, without that your device can’t be traced.
For which device is this setting acceptable?
This setting is applicable for any Windows device namely surface pens, PC, laptops, etc, but make sure it is turned on.
Will this feature help in locating your lost android device or iOS device?
The answer to this would be no. In order to find your lost android device, you can download an app from the google play store which is also known as “Find my device” which is used to track only android devices. It was earlier known as “device manager”. You can as well browse it from google by visiting the page google.com/andriod/find.This feature will help you to ring, erase or lock your device.
To track down the iOS device you require “Find my iPhone” whose location services should be active. There are two ways in which you can locate your device. You can either use the free “Find my iPhone” on another apple device to locate or you can log in to your account on a browser by visiting iCloud.com and click on “Find My iPhone”.
Does the “Find my device ” feature work the same as the “Find my” feature on MAC?
Undoubtedly both the features perform the same work. If you want to turn on the feature on MAC
- Firstly tap on the Apple menu then click on system preferences and the Apple ID.
- Sign in with your Apple ID if you don’t find it or create your Apple ID in case you don’t have one
- Now click on iCloud
- Choose “Find my Mac”, tap on Allow to let “Find my Mac” locate.
Note: Make sure to go to Security and Privacy preferences to ensure that the Location Services is activated or turned on.
Can one track their laptop with the help of a serial number?
Definitely, a person can track their laptop if they know the serial number. A serial number is a unique identification string. A Microsoft serial number is a twelve-digit string containing only numbers.
Where to find the serial number of your laptop?
To find out the serial number of your laptop look at the bottom of the laptop or underneath the battery compartment.
To conclude with “Find my device” is a very beneficial and handy feature. You need not approach the police if you have lost your device. One must also ensure that he/she has turned on this feature. Additionally, do not be irresponsible and be vigilant about your belongings.